Thursday, January 01, 2009

Starting 2009 by thinking about Jesus

This quote from John Owen struck me back in August & September. It is an entirely appropriate thought with which to begin a new year:

It is by beholding the glory of Christ by faith that we are spiritually edified and built up in this world, for as we behold his glory, his life and power of faith grow stronger and stronger. It is by faith that we grow to love Christ. So if we desire strong faith and powerful love, which give us rest, peace and satisfaction, we must seek them by diligently beholding the glory of Christ by faith. In this duty I desire to live and to die. On Christ's glory I would fix all my thoughts and desires, and the more I see of the glory of Christ, the more the painted beauties of this world will wither in my eyes and I will be more and more crucified to this world.

John Owen, The Glory of Christ, (Banner of Truth, abridged edition) p.7

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great quote. I'm thinking of re-reading this one some time this year.